Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Windows of Hope

She Says:

There are moments in raising a child with autism that you see a glimpse of normalcy, that you feel a part of the "other" parents and that you enjoy a typical child moment.


Last Friday was one of those for me.

My son had a Kindergarten Fairy Tale Ball. I was dreading it. Even a typical boy doesn't find dressing up as a Prince very enjoyable. It's not really their dream like a girl dreams of being a Princess. I had chased him around the house a few times begging him to try his Prince cape or crown on to no avail.



Earlier in the week, his teacher had called to say "How badly do you want Dylan to participate in the Ball? He's not too interested in the practices." It's one of those constant dilemmas you face in raising an autistic child: do you force them to fit in or allow them a break? I of course opted for the first choice and replied "If he's acting up in practice, then he shouldn't be allowed out of it."

Thank goodness I was right. I could have been dreadfully wrong. Often I am.

On Friday, Dylan walked into the Fairy Tale Ball in full costume. He was all smiles to see his mom and sister at school and put on an amazing performance. He sang with the other Kindergartners and danced with them. He gave hugs to fellow classmates and even held hands with the girl dressed up as Scarlett O'Hara.


Scarlett O'Hara's (aka Noelle)'s mom e-mailed me a thank you... she thanked Dylan for being such a good friend to Noelle. I never dreamed my son would get a compliment like that. I felt like jumping up and down too. Noelle and her mom made us all feel normal... for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment