Sunday, December 2, 2007

What If?

She Says:

We've started down the never-ending road of biomedical treatment for Dylan. We cram vitamins down him twice a day and give him shots two times a week. We've taken sugar away too, as much as we can.

What do we hope for at the end of these treatments? I'm not sure. Do I have faith to hope for full recovery? Not yet. Do I hope for more time interacting with him? Sure! Do I hope for him to have a better quality of life? Sure! But, what is better for him or me? Too many unanswered questions. Right now, just putting one step in front of the other.

What I do know is we got some amazing lab results that answered many pieces to our puzzle of autism. We know some deficiencies for sure and those we will attack with all our might. After I read the results with the doctor, I had this warm feeling come over me that Dylan would have a better life than we now know. It was one of my highest points in this journey.

I do see progress in his speech, there is so much more that is spontaneous out of him now. On Saturday, he was in the shopping cart at Target and said "I miss my daddy." WOW, that's huge to me... not only was he saying a full, complete sentence, but he was expressing his emotion. I loved it. I wanted to yank him out of the cart and throw him around in happiness. But, I've created enough scenes in stores along this autism journey. I thought I'd spare the other shoppers for once.

My husband miraculously got Dylan to swallow pills. This came after I was pouring them into his juice and milk each day for a week. He looked at me one day and said, "Mom, no more sand in my milk!" So, Eric handed him the pill and said, then swallow. He showed greater faith in him than I saw. I often don't believe my son can take the next step in life, but someone else believes for me. Now, when I tell him it's time to take his vitamins, he says "pills please!" No Joke!

He Says:

What if we really do cure Dylan of autism? Will we even know who he is? Will we miss the autistic traits? Will we want to make the funny sounds we've grown to love and he will no longer need them? Will I be able to open the door after work and yell "Dig a Dig a Dee" and he'll be too typical to not yell it back?

No comments:

Post a Comment