Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More Autism Mom Truths...

Here's what other moms say surprised them about raising a child with autism:

1. That this wasn't just two years of therapy and then we would get on with our lives. That autism became our life.
2. Lack of support and knowledge from the medical community!
3. The parents are leading the way to healing the children.
4. The divisiveness (genetic vs environmental)among support groups and parents. Really a shame.
5. The extremely high costs and endless waiting lists (yes about $4000/month and a 12 month waiting list--so much for early intervention).
6. That I would have my life revolve around health this early in my life. I am like a 90 year old man sitting around talking about my ailments.
7. That I would learn to appreciate every little gain that my daughter makes, and that I will never take for granted the typical development of my two boys.
8. That I would gain a compassion for others that I didn't know I was capable of.
9. That I learned most of the information worth knowing from other parents.
10. Lack of answers and ambivalence to uncover them in the search for an autism cure are shockingly lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment